Monday, March 3, 2014

the journey begins

To move forward we must begin by going backward...two years ago to be exact.

Nearly two years ago I underwent a surgery to help bring me back to a state of health. At well over 360 pounds (on a 6 ft-tall large frame) I wasn't doing well. I was sick. I hurt, and life was rough. So I had a gastric lap-band surgery. For a while everything went as planned. But then I began to grow an infection. Without going into all the details, 3 months later I had to have the entire lap band and port removed due to infection. In three months I had lost a staggering 110 lbs. While everyone complimented me on how good I looked (on the outside), on the inside I was sick and in worse health than I was before. (pic below is of me after 110-lb weight loss)

After it was removed I didn't stay that size. Without the support groups and doctors and nurses encouraging me I lost hope. I had failed at weight loss again. This wasn't anything new to me. I had tried all the diets out there: Atkins, Weight Watchers, South Beach, 17-day, Grapefruit, you name it, I failed at those too. But I'm not blaming anyone else because I was the one putting food in my mouth. Each carb, cake, chip, candy bar and carrot (who am I kidding, I didn't eat carrots back then) was my choice. So I did what I always do...I yo-yo'd back.

Today I'm not at 360, but I'm sitting at 340 and I feel better than I have in a long time because my eating is healthier and I've taken to working out on a very regular basis. My wife and I began this year on a gluten-free/dairy-free diet that had us--if for nothing else--looking at food in a whole new way. What I have found in this process is that I can have gluten and dairy, but I don't feel as hot when I do. So its higher doses of proteins, nuts, fruits and veggies (yes, carrots too) for me with shots of rice and this alien-like product called quinoa. Actually, I dig it, but don't tell those in Rosewell, I'm afraid I might get beemed up for admitting such a thing.

The workouts began like any other time: Lifting weights, walking on the treadmill or suffering through the elliptical machine. I should probably say that I have bad cartilage loss in both knees and one has a torn meniscus. But like other times, things were just staying the same. Workout to lose weight? Eh...where's the fun in that? I'm a competitive guy. I played basketball in High school and walked on in College. I like the challenge and working out FOR something. I was in the best shape of my life when I walked on the team in college...but that was nearly 20 years ago. So where's the fire going to come from?

This brings us to the Highland Games. As one who has only admired the strength of dudes in kilts from afar, I never really thought I could do what they do. Which is why I am motivated more than ever to try it out. (Who wouldn't want to look like the guy in the pic throwing a hammer into a field of battle??) So I want to compete in the Highland Games, and the first one I'm shooting for is the Minnesota Scottish Festival and Highland Games in 2015. I'm being realistic. I've got a lot of training to do before I get back in the kilt and start throwing weights heavier than my kids around. But its a goal and I'm focused on doing this.

This blog will simply help me chronicle the journey to summer of 2015. Along the way, I'll be explaining the different elements of the sport, linking to other blogs with great information to share, and trying to stay real about my biggest obstacle in life. If you want to comment or encourage, that's great. Thank you.

See you on the field...

3 comments:

  1. It is going to be awesome to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome, Dave. We'll find some haggis and drink some Glenlivet this summer. And you can swing my skinny butt around in your backyard and try to toss me over your fence.

    ReplyDelete