Saturday, March 22, 2014

Fitness for the Future

When I think of these big dudes throwing weights around, pitching trees end over end, and hurling stones in the air I can't help but think that I'm lacking...desperately. I'd love to think that I look something like the silhouetted man to the right, but I know I look more like the one below it.

Comparisons happen all the time. when we're at the gym, when we're shopping at the mall, on the field...everywhere. If we let the voices inside our heads get to us then WE WILL ALWAYS LOSE. Whether we are a 13-year old girl, a 60+ woman or a pushing-40 man we will never be good enough if we compare ourselves to the next person.

Honestly, I have to say that this has always been hard for me. With my larger frame I wasn't the quickest on the basketball court. I wasn't the tallest or best shooter. But I had heart. Our parents tell us that this is what matters when we're young, but we're too YOUNG to understand that. Now I know that heart, passion, and focus can account for a lot in life. Is it easy? Heck no. But if you've got the heart and focus for it...IT WILL COME.

The reality is our perception of what fitness is needs to change. We're not hopping on the treadmill because someone told us to do it. We shouldn't be pumping iron to look like the next guy. We do these things to be a better version of ourselves. Recently on Facebook I saw this great image that now sits on our fridge.
<-----------------------------------------------------

For us to continue a life of being fit, it doesn't matter where we start. It matters that we're in the midst of it. I have a goal--a destination, if you will. That's to compete in the MN Scottish Fest Highland Games in 2015. But fitness for me isn't just about next summer. It's about today and what I do for it. If I take a day off from lifting, I remind myself the muscles a break to recover. If I go cardio-crazy for a day, it's because I am trying to be better than I used to be. No comparisons--except to my former self. Friends, I hope you will see your fitness not as a comparison to others, but as a move toward your future.
May you always seek to be well.


No comments:

Post a Comment