Saturday, March 15, 2014

The Barnabas Team

Early this morning I did something I have never done. I participated in a 7k road race. No, I didn't run in it. I volunteered as a "cheerer" with a group from our church for the Get Lucky 7k race. When I got to thinking about it, I said we ought to call ourselves "The Barnabas Team".
    
Barnabas, from the the Bible, was known as an encourager. In the book of Acts (4:36), we're told his name even means "Son of Encouragement". Throughout the New Testament, Barnabas is seen financially supporting the ministry of the apostles (Acts 4); was one of the first to support Saul following his conversion (Acts 9); and is an early missionary to other cities (Acts 11 and following). Barnabas encouraged, cheered on, and support those on the front-lines of the ministry work. He too participated, but his chief was to encourage.

So as we cheered, yelled supporting comments, blew our noise-makers, clapped hands, waved pom poms and gave high fives in the below-30 degree temps to the 11,000+ runners along the river in Minneapolis I truly felt like a Barnabas. Much of what these folks were doing I couldn't do. I don't run anymore. With a torn meniscus and cartilage loss in both knees I could only really stand on the sidelines and encourage them on.

When thinking about being an encourager for others in the midst of a difficult weight loss journey, or on a tough road race I believe its important that you use the right words and meet people where they are on the journey. Some of the racers today desperately needed our Barnabas team. We were at the 3.5 mile mark of the total 4.3 miles. You could see that many had hit the wall. Some were fighting through, but all were on the road making it happen. Letting people know that they are "doing great" "Keeping a great pace" or whatever worked for our group. We also were able to let them know that the light at the end of the tunnel was coming. Right after where we stood the road went downhill for a bit and then flattened out toward the finish line. They had less than a mile to go. For some folks, the knowledge that they were almost done was worth it for us. The smiles on their faces, the lightened steps, even the cheers we got back from some of the racers was amazing.

So, on this journey I want to thank my own Barnabas team. My wife and kiddos, those at the church who promise to be there to watch my first Highland Games, and of course my trainer, JR. Without great cheerleaders in your corner the race can be extra long and you may even have the desire to quit. With folks like Barnabas, though, it doesn't seem so bad and reminds you that you CAN do what you set your mind to do.  So thanks to my own Barnabas Team!

3 comments:

  1. You are doing great!! We love you and are so proud of your hard work!! Go dad go!!!
    Love-
    Sarah, Will, Anna, and Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Parents and Grandmother would like to be a part of your Barnabas team too! Enjoy your blog and wishing you continued success in the gym, at the table and on the field! Love Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone for your support! It is a fun journey this time around.

    ReplyDelete