Thursday, April 24, 2014

First Throws

Throughout this journey I have been desiring an opportunity to meet up with folks who are involved in the highland games in this area. I can lift and train and lose weight all on my own, but learning technique and getting the ins and outs of the games is a totally different matter.

Fortunately, this has totally changed in the last two weeks. On Saturday, April 12, I met with the guy who puts on the MN Highland Games. We talked about life, God, training and throwing. so much fun to connect with another person who has a passion to throw things around and serve the Lord at the same time. Very cool meeting. Well Jeff put me in touch with another great guy, Brian Hare, who is a fellow competitor and coach for newbies like me. Last Saturday, April 19, I got to meet up with Brian and a couple other guys and begin learning the techniques for throwing the hammer and weight for distance (WFD).

We began with the hammer and while I most scared about this throw, it turned out is was a lot easier than the WFD. So the other guys are chucking the hammer 75-115 ft. Me? not so much. first toss was 46 ft. Once I started to understand the physics of it (this is going to be a major growth area for me because I am NOT science-minded) I got a better. My 7th and final toss on the light weight hammer (16 lbs) was a whopping 66 ft. Ugh. Looks like I have a ways to go, but I know of quite a few things I could do to help. Size is great, but technique is EVERYTHING.

Needless to say that I have no technique on the WFD. I need a lot of work on it, but the guys really spent a good amount of time with me teaching me about highs and lows and planes. It'll come. But hopefully sooner rather than later because while my goal was to compete in next year's games (and just sit by and idly watch this year), I have been encouraged by all the other competitors that I just need to get going on it.

SO....I will be competing in THIS YEAR'S Minnesota Highland Games on July 12th, 2014. I'm confident I won't be among the top competitors (remember, I still have the caber toss to master), but I am incredibly grateful and excited for a new group of friends that are on this journey with me.

thanks for your support and if you're interested in seeing the games and you're going to be in the Twin Cities in mid July--make a point to get out to the games!

Until next time...see you on the field...

1 comment: